Citizen's Charter on Passenger Services Of Indian Railways
This Charter is a commitment of the Indian Railway Administration to :
- Provide safe and dependable train services .
- Set notified standards for various services wherever possible.
- Ensure adequate passenger amenities in trains and at Railway stations.
- Provide courteous and efficient grievance redressal machinery, at various levels for time-bound resolution of complaints and grievances as far as possible
- Provision of computerised reservation facilities at all stations with a workload of 300 reservations related transactions.
- Opening of adequate number of counters to ensure reduced waiting time.
Opening of ticket booking counters with adequate working hours to facilitate issue of tickets to the public. The working hours will be clearly displayed at the counters.
- As far as possible, refunds would be made across counter provided the ticket is surrendered within the specified time limit. Such refunds can be obtained at the computerised counters of any station provided it is linked with the ticket issuing station and the ticket is presented within the prescribed limit.
- In case of failure of air-conditioning/equipment, difference of fare between air-conditioned and non air-conditioned class of travel for the portion traveled without air-conditioning shall be refunded for which a certificate may be obtained from the Guard/TTE.
- Station masters of certain important stations/reservation offices have been granted special discretionary powers to grant refund on un-used tickets issued from their stations where refund is not admissible at the stations due to expiry of the time limits prescribed in the rules. The list of stations,where this facility is available, is published in the respective Zonal Railway time-table.
- In case where refund is not permissible across the counter, the Railway Administration shall provide the passenger with a ticket refund receipt. Refunds as admissible in such cases will ordinarily be settled within 90 days of the submission of the claim.
LOST, TORN or MUTILATED TICKETS
- No claim for refund is entertained by Indian Railways in case of loss or misplaced tickets.
- Refund of fare will be granted in respect of a torn or mutilated ticket if its authenticity is verifiable on the basis of the particulars visible on the face of the tickets.
- If the ticket is confirmed /RAC, the Railways may permit the travel on the same reservation on payment of the charges fixed from time to time.
- Handy pamphlets in local languages containing details of different types of concessions to which passengers are eligible and other relevant passenger information will be made available at the book stalls and Railway counters on payment of nominal charges.
CO-OPERATION FROM PASSENGERS
- Co-operations of general public is sought to maintain cleanliness, avoid unnecessary chain pullings, maintain cordial relations with fellow passengers and Railway staff coming in their contact, abstain from smoking and drinking, travel light, without contrabands or inflammable items, not encouraging touts, not using toilets when train is stationary and protection of Railway property from misuse, damage or vadalism.
- Information will be given in advance through the media for special trains on special occasions.
ENQUIRY AND INFORMATION
- Railway time-tables provide information for different trains. Computerised Interactive Voice Response System is also available at important stations.
- The position of running of trains will be updated regularly and announced on the Public Address System at important stations and also made available on telephone or personal enquiries.
Indian Railways shall provide catering services through mobile and static units.
Every effort shall be made to keep Railway Premises clean and hygienic with provision of safaiwalas. pay and use toilets are also available at certain stations.
Basic facilities like booking arrangements, waiting halls, benches, lighting, drinking water, platform, urinals, shady trees shall be available at all regular stations. On board of a train lighting and fans, cushioned berths, toilets, reservation charts and destination boards will be available. TTEs/Conducters etc. shall also be available to attend complaint/grievances.
- Railway Administration would ordinarily reply to the complainant within 90 days where detailed enquiries are not required to be made and within 120 days where detailed enquiries are warranted.
THEFT OF LUGGAGE
A prescribed FIR form is available in time-table or with TTEs/Gaurds or GRP escort. After properly filling up, it may be handed over to one of the officials viz. TTE, Gaurd or GRP escort for registration of the report at the next police station.