Diesel Loco Shed, Central Railway, Pune Division
Diesel Loco Shed, Pune is an important shed of the Central Railway in Pune Division. It was planned under WP 1978 – 79 to home 60 locos. The shed was further extended to home 100 locos under WP 1981 – 82. The loco shed became functional from 13/08/1981. Now it has a holding of around 135 locomotives with around 63 locos operating in mail express links. The shed is headed by Sr. DME (D).
In this Diesel Shed maintenance of various types of locos such as – WDM2, WDM 3A, WDG 3A, WDM 3D, WDM 2S, and WDS 6 is carried out.
Major and minor schedules of Diesel Locomotives are carried out in the shed. The shed is ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 certified. The shed is divided into Light Schedule Repair Section, Heavy Schedule Repair Section, Heavy Repair (Mechanical), Heavy Repair (Electrical), Bogie Section, Machine Shop and Training Centre. The shed is located near Ghorpuri Railway Station and entrance of the shed is between a railway crossing gate.
- The shed is pioneer to have successfully repaired collector comb of transmitter ofHasler Speed Recorder and of having trained staff of other sheds to repair this costly item.
- The shed is the first major shed to have started getting HSD oil supplies by road transport.
- The shed is pioneer in having installed in situ centrifuge system for lube oil on 50 locos.
- The shed is pioneer to have fabricated test stand for testing air measuring valve, an important component of air brake system.
- The shed is giving major schedules at intervals of 12 months, 24 months and 48 months.
- The shed has fabricated a machine which can lap the pinion seat area of the TM as well.
- The shed was converted one WDG2 loco, so that it can be used on vacuum system as well.
- The shed has installed a press to manufacture quality gaskets in shed.
- The shed has provided modified Automatic Switch “ON” flasher light on locos.
- The shed has started modification by providing partition in WDG 2 locomotive engine block sump base to arrest the problem of oil ingress in alternators.
- The shed has started modification of sanding gear system by providing rotex valve & magnet valve in place of conventional sander valve.