Carriage Workshop, Matunga was set up in 1915 as a repair workshop for broad gauge and narrow gauge coaches and wagons of the erstwhile Great Indian Peninsula (GIP) Railway. The workshop covers a triangular piece of land/area of 85 Acres, including a covered area of about 35 Acres, skirted by the Central Railway suburban corridors on the east and the Western Railway corridors on the west.
The workshop capacity has since been expanded and developed and over a period of time the target outturn of the workshop has been increased to the current level of 149 Non-AC Coaches, 36 AC Coaches POH, 7.5 LHB and 99 EMU Coaches POH per month. LHB coaches schedule maintenance is started in Matunga Workshop since December`2018. Matunga Workshop is proud of becoming the first Railway Workshop to start the industrial use of CNG since March`2017. Matunga Workshop is certified with ISO 50001, ISO 3834, 5 S, Green Co-Rating Certification and NABL (ISO/IES 17205:2005) Certification.
Matunga Workshop is headed by Chief Workshop Manager and is assisted by five JA Grade officers of Mechanical, Electrical & EMU i.e. Dy.CME(R), Dy.CME(P), Dy.CME(EMU), Dy.CEE(G), Dy.CEE(EMU). CWM is also assisted by Dy.CPO, WAO & XEN(Works). Store Depot is attached to the Workshop and is headed by Dy.CMM. Besides this, administrative control of Sanpada EMU POH Workshop is also under CWM/Matunga.
PRESENT ACTIVITIES OF MATUNGA WORKSHOP
- POH of BG AC Coaches.
- Refurbishing of AC Coaches.
- POH of BG Non-AC Coaches.
- Refurbishing of Non-AC Coaches.
- NPOH of Coaches.
- Heavy Corrosion Repair of BG AC and Non-AC coaches.
- POH of BG EMU Coaches.
- Mid Life Rehabilitation of EMU Coaches.
- Supply of all type of wheel to divisions.
- Supply of IOH Bogies(ICF) to divisions.
- Supply of overhauled DVs to divisions.
- Supply of components for maintenance of Coaching Rolling stock to Divisions.
- POH of special luxury train such as Deccan Odysseys coach, Impact India.
- Modifications in Mainline & EMU coaches.
- SS-2/3 of LHB coaches.
MILESTONES OF MATUNGA WORKSHOP
- 1906: Acquisition of land between Dadar and Matunga for Railway workshop is proposed on 12th April.
- 1911: Proposal of Carriage & Wagon workshop is sanctioned by Railway board.
- Cost of marshy land for C&W workshop: Rs.7,93,213/-
- Cost of construction of workshop and staff quarters: Rs. 94, 35,285/-.
- 1915: C&W workshop is set up as a repair workshop for coaches and Wagons of the erstwhile Great Indian Peninsula (GIP) Railway.
- Out turn of the new workshop was estimated to be 2000 coaches per annum in terms of 4-wheel unit.
- Matunga Workshop manufactured shells and converted coaches for military movements, supply of food grains & other ancillary supply during war.
- 1918-19: First Cell Charging Van manufactured.
- 1919-20: Facilities to manufacture Wagons is developed.
- 1932-33: New first class, second class, Servant and Restaurant Cars manufactured according to standard design.
- 1937: First 1st AC coach manufactured by Matunga workshop. It was introduced in 7 DN / 8 UP (Calcutta Mail) on 01.12.1937.
- 1939-40: Motor trolleys were built for Defence department.
- 1941-42: Coaches exported to foreign countries.
- 1941-42: 12 BG coaches converted to Ambulance train no.27 for Defence department.
- 1919-20: Provision of window bars to body side windows (First Safety Measure).
- 1949-50: Conversion of motor coach to double decker coach. It was put to service to obtain public opinion.
- 1953:Tank Wagon Repair Shop is set up at Kurla under Administrative control of Matunga Workshop.
- 1954:Special Coach arrangement were made during visit of Marshal Tito, President of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in Dec.
- 1955:First ART is manufactured having its own operation theatre with latest medical equipment. It was the first of its kind in India.
- 1957-59: AC twin car coach no. 9000 & 9001 for President of India was manufactured.
- 1960: Basic Training Centre is setup.
- 1963-64: Development of sliding (Mc Gregor type) and swinging (Schindler type) roof attachment for open wagon.
- 1982:EMU POH activity started at Matunga.
- 1991-92: 3 coaches are modified for JEEVAN REKHA train, equipped to serve as Hospital on Rail.
- 1995: The First DMU - Diesel Push Pull Train between Diva and Vasai is flagged off on 7th Feb. The coaches were furnished by Matunga Workshop.
- 2002-03: 8 heritage coaches repaired for 150th anniversary of Indian Railways.
- 2007-08: Adoption of 18 months POH periodicity from 12 months.
- 2013: First refurbished rake turned out for Amravati Express.
- 2014: Fitment of Bio-toilet tanks started.
- 2013: First of its kind Medical Recovery Van turned out. The coaches are equipped with modern medical equipment. A generator van provides continuous power supply.
- 2013: 4 coaches converted to Green Toilet.
- 2015: First of its kind, twin toilets provided with vacuum flushing system in II AC coach.
- 2016: Matunga Workshop celebrates 100 years. Centenary celebration attended by Hon’ble MR.
- 2016: CCTV installed in ladies’ compartments of 10 rakes in Sub-urban trains.
- 2016: Overhauling facilities for Siemens Traction motors developed.
- 2017: Installation of 20KW Solar Plant in March`2017.
- 2017: Design & modification into Porto-type Bio-tank to made suitable for Deccan Odyssey coaches. Fitted bio tanks in all lavatories of Deccan Odyssey coaches.
- 2017: Modification in AC coach Lavatory to avoid foul smell inside the lavatory.
- 2017: Matunga Workshop got the ISO 3834, ISO 50001, 5S and Green Co rating Certification.
- 2018: Matunga Workshop has converted a DEMU coach into a Self-Propelled Inspection Car (CR 15493).
- 2018: Matunga Workshop designed, developed, fabricated & commissioned an Automatic & Digital DV Test Bench, in house.
- 2018: Matunga Workshop got the NABL-ISO/IES 17205:2005 certification.
- 2019: Matunga Workshop has completed SS-2schedule and turned-out Ist LHB coach on 05.01.2019.
A FEW FIRSTs OF MATUNGA WORKSHOP
- First Workshop to start provision of bogie mounted air brake system in 1993-94.
- First Workshop to start the concept of End Life Rehabilitation in EMU coaches in the year 1998.
- First Railway Workshop in Indian Railways to get ISO-9001 Certification in the year 2001.
- First Railway Workshop in Indian Railways to get ISO-14001 Certification in the year 2002.
- First Railway coaching workshop in Indian Railways to convert 100% of Mail/Express rakes into Air brake in the year 2002.
- First Workshop in Indian Railways to provide consultancy for ISO 9001:2000 Certificate to another unit (Kalyan Freight Depot in the year 2003).
- First Workshop in Central Railway and only second in Indian Railways to introduce payment of salary to incentive workers through ECS in November 2003.
- First Workshop on Indian Railways to start cleaning of bogies by Grit blasting & improve safety standards of Rolling stock in 2004.
- First Workshop on Indian Railways to provide all coaches with Bogie Mounted Air Brake System by the end of Jan.2011.
- First Workshop on Indian Railways to start Cushioning in Unreserved Coaches from Oct. 2008. All coaches have been completed by Jan.2011.
- First Workshop on Indian Railways to start use of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) March`2017.
- First Workshop to develop vertical gardens on walls during 2018.
- First Workshop in Indian Railways to get ISO 45001:2018 for implementing Occupational Health & Safety Management System.